[mythtv-users] Can I still use an XBox as an XBox with XBoxMyth

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Wed Nov 17 01:09:49 UTC 2004

Bill,

> I am getting the impression that there is no way to "dual boot" the XBox
> as
> still being able to play XBox games and also be able to start it up as a
> Mythfrontend.
>
> Is this true?  Any suggestions?
>

> --
>
> Bill Chmura
>
> w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
> w. http://www.explosivo.com

> Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
> more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
> important for humankind.
> -His Holiness the Dalai Lama
>
> Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom
> helps
> you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
> constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
> -Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"

   I have a soft modded (MechAssult Save Game Bug) XBox that allows me to
run Linux/MythTV, and reboot and play games from the dashboard (the
green menu thing that comes up on a stock XBox).
   It works pretty well, but has a couple of down sides. One problem I
have is my machine suffers from clock loop once a month or so and alot
when it gets unplugged from AC. It will reboot over and over again
until something corrects itself and then it will require you to reset
the clock. This has taken as long as an hour of reboots, which when it
happens, I just ignore it for a couple hours and come back and set the
time when it is done. This is due to the soft mod. The other issue with
soft mods is that you can not play online games through XBox Live any
longer. I am not sure exactly why this is, I assume MS will ban you if
they detect the mod, but I could care less about online gaming anyway.
I have enought LAN parties at my house to keep me happy. Other than
that pretty easy to setup, and I can help if you like. The Wife
Acceptance Factor has been pretty high with this configuration too.
Also, the DVD remote for the XBox works great in MythTV although the
remote is a little cheap.
   I understand the hardware mods now support multiple BIOS images,
booting the Linux based BIOS for the XBox named Cromwell, and booting
the built in BIOS for clean problem free dual booting. I also
understand that this solution is the most trouble free way to go,
although mine took an evening to mod and install and has been pretty
much trouble free.
   If you decide to go this route, you will want to check the version of
the XBox before you buy, some of the newer ones are more difficult to
mod.

Check out:
http://www.xbox-linux.org
http://www.xbox-scene.com

Regards,
    John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
    Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
    http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110