[mythtv-users] Re: .16 and High Density Memory Crashes?

Ben Brown mythtv at idiotsabound.com
Tue Nov 16 21:27:07 UTC 2004

Actually I guess I should have explained myself further.  This relates to
the .16 Myth Freeze threads.  I've had mythtv up and running for over 3
years on these machines.  .15 runs fine, .16 causes freezes.  Without fail,
and repeats every time.  I've run several different Memory test and tried at
least 5 or 6 different pieces of RAM. I've run memtest several times.  It's
not a Bad piece of RAM and its Not a system not supporting RAM.  AS I said
this system runs .15 with this RAM fine.  When I say HD ram, I'm referring
to sticks with Chips Higher than 16M  So if you have a 256MB stick of RAM,
but It only has 4 CHIPS on I would say it was High Density.  I maybe
completely off base on this.  Which is possible.  I've tried everything I
can seem to find, different HD, different Processors, Different MB's, And
now different RAM.  If I run HD test an any of the stuff it always comes
back fine.  The RAM is just something I can seem to get to repeat it self
over and over.

Ben

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 21:53, Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> What pray tell is HD memory ? Single Sided Modules above 1GB ? If
> you're having memory issues try running http://www.memtest.org
> If that can't find it, not much can.
>
> Yan
>
> Ben Brown wrote:
> > I've been working on my random freeze ups, and I think it comes back to
High
> > Density Memory. The machine that was crashing had HD memory. I switched
> > that memory with the memory from the machine that wasn't crashing and it

> > started crashing. I played with some other stick and it comes down to
any
> > machine with .16 and HD memory seems to have random machine freezes. I'm

> > trying to do a little more research, but I thought I'd ask the list.
Thos