[mythtv-users] Re: nuvexport speed

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Nov 16 20:07:50 UTC 2004

> Iiiiiinnteresting...  I tried selecting WMV instead of VCD, and I was
> getting about **70** fps instead of 7, no matter what bitrate I
> selected!  (still no denoising or anything else) The only problem is..
> it's WMV.  Useless for further video processing.  Is there some way to
> shoehorn ffmpeg in there instead of mpeg2enc for MPEG1 encoding (even if
> it's not "official" VCD?)

As I hear tell, ffmpeg's mpeg encoders suck.  But you must remember,
that encoding wmv (actually just asf in a wmv container, and not an
acual wmv codec) is a lot different than mpeg.  you're likely to get
similar bitrates for mpeg encoding, no matter what you're using.

> Man I think we're on to something.  BTW.  I grok the nuvexport module
> layout a bit better now.  It's nice and clean.  I was able to get it to
> pass different parameters in to transcode, though it didn't really
> change anything.

Thanks.  :)  I try to keep my code as readable as possible.  I've also
tried to optimize the transcode calls as best as I can.

-Chris

PS. fixing the subject again, so this actually gets file correctly.