[mythtv-users] Congress to Make Commercial Skipping Illegal

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Tue Nov 16 19:59:42 UTC 2004

Not to say that this law is any good, but I think we are missing its
intended target:
DVDs

The way I read it, this is aimed at making sure people have to watch
previews.
They don't care if you skip them without changing the content. BUT, if
you rip the DVD,
and modify it, they want to put the smack-down on you.

I don't even think they CARE about the typical HTPC type user, who is
ripping their own
DVDs for storage/playback. They are looking at this as another offense
to take on to the list of
other offenses that people who are distributing content over the
internet might have
brought against them.

The wording of the bill specifically states this is for motion pictures
as well.  If this applied to
broadcast content, even movies over broadcast, you would have problems,
such as cable
providers not being able to insert local advertising. And since the
copyright on the commercials
(generally) aren't owned by the company that owns the copyright on the
movie, my guess is
that enforcing this for broadcast content is almost impossible.

I'm still calling my Senators, though. I hate this crap.

        --Matt

Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com>