[mythtv-users] Streaming video from web

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 16 01:25:42 UTC 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 17:09, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Dave Packham wrote:
> >I use vlc on my AMD opt.  No probs... Hmm  how will you get VLC to fire
> >off and start streaming and call a media player of some sort from the
> >web page?
> >
> >Streaming a file with VLC is easy.  The hard part will be  finding a way
> >to fire off the client side app..  Like VLC on your notebook to receive
> >the transcoded stream
>
> I don't quite follow you, Dave. I know nothing about these two apps, but
> I thought VLC was the client app and VLS was the streaming server one. I
> was refering to VLS.
>
> If you did compile VLS on a 64bit, did you change any source?

There were separate VLS and VLC components for a long time, but from what I
recall, VLS is no longer maintained, and all the streaming server
functionality has been incorporated into VLC.

Just double-checked here: http://www.videolan.org/streaming/

"VLS (VideoLAN Server), which can stream MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 files,
DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital terrestial television channels and
live videos on the network in unicast or multicast. Most of the VLS
functionality can now be found in the much better VLC program. Usage of VLC
instead of VLS is advised."

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com