[mythtv-users] Re: nuv export speed

Lonnie Borntreger myth at borntreger.com
Mon Nov 15 07:26:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 23:07 -0400, Jonathan Markevich wrote:
> Lonnie Borntreger wrote:

> >Just for fun, I took out the nice commands (for the export_VCD module)
> >and ran it.  I might have gained a whole 1 minute for a 1/2 hour show.
> >Seems to me to be a 1-to-1 match in show length (in time) and exporting
> >length (in time).
> >

> What?  Are you trying to say you get a 30 minute show to export in 30
> minutes?  That seems to fly in the face of everyone else's experiences.
> I've pretty much accepted that I'll only get ~7 FPS, or just shy of 4
> hours per hour.  This is unbelievably, aggravatingly slow.

Yup, note that this is "Export to VCD" (MPEG1??), not DVD or anything
like that.  Rough calculations, I take a 1/2 hour show, remove the
commercials, that leaves around 22-24 minutes (guessing), and it take
24-32 minutes to "Export".

> For comparison purposes; I have a Sempron 2400+ with 256 MB RAM, running
> the latest KnoppMyth.  Yeah I know, 256 isn't enough.
>
> P.S. I am by no means criticizing nuvexport, I think it's a fabulous
> utility (though it's screaming for a web interface).  I am wondering if
> the encoder itself are finding a bottleneck somewere.
>
> If you are getting "real time" transcoding, can you tell us your setup
> and version information?

I have an ASUS A7M266-D with dual Athlon 1700+'s, 512MB Registered RAM,
a nVidia GTS 256, and around 230GB of ATA100 drives (only 10G or so set
up for MythTV).  Other than the SMP part, it's nothing special.  I got
it right after the motherboard was first introduced several years back
(can't remember when).  The tuner is a Hauppauge WinTV PCI (even older)
with a bt878 stereo decoder (with FM tuner).

Like I said, this is also my desktop computer (with KDE, Evolution mail,
Firefox, etc. running almost constantly). So, I don't do a whole lot of
live TV on it, since I can't do anything else when the frontend is
running.  I have a laptop in my office (1GHz Athlon - on Mandrake Cooker
also) running the frontend that I use to schedule and watch my
recordings across the network, so I can continue to use the desktop for
"general purpose" use.

When I do "internal" transcoding (to process the cut-list) it will run
through that same 1/2 show in under 5 minutes (never timed it, but it
gets done real fast).  Because of this, I always assumed that nuvexport
was running very slow.  Guess not.

Lonnie Borntreger