[mythtv-users] Re: Scrolling in MythMusic playlist selection screen

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 03:12:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:40:11 +1300
"Craig Box" <craig at dubculture.co.nz> wrote:

> > On Monday 01 November 2004 02:32 am, Craig Box wrote:
> >> With regard to Henk's post, changing to vesa makes no difference.
> >> All the tests I refer to in this post are done in vesa.  However, X
> >> does seem to be the problem, as it hits 85-90% CPU time as soon as
> >> you start jumping around the "add music to playlist" list with the
> >> number keys
> >
> > Well, this is a bit of a mystery. Going to need distro and Qt
> > versions to see if others with the same problem can figure out
> > commonalities.
>
> Now running Fedora Core 3, still using nvidia driver, with
> kernel-2.6.9-1.667 and qt-3.3.3-8.

I'm beginning to become suspicious of the Nvidia binary drivers...
I periodically get the "X consumes 90% of CPU" problem; it's seemingly
random but... on my other system (which used to be my Myth box until
recently), X hangs consistently when starting KDE.  If I switch to the
"nv" driver, I have no problems (and also no OpenGL, so not really much
use for some things...)

If it is the driver, there's not much we can do, short of complaining
to Nvidia. Closed source drivers suck.

-JAC