[mythtv-users] nuvexport speed

John Andersen jsa at video.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 15 01:07:44 UTC 2004

On Saturday 13 November 2004 12:04, nate s wrote:
> I was taking a look at the nuvexport code recently, and I noticed that
> (at least for the xvid module; I didn't look at the rest) it was
> renicing it to 19 (lowest priority.)  I suppose this makes sense, so
> as not to mess up any in-progress recordings, but if you're not using
> the box for anything else at the time, you might as well set it
> higher, or at least turn off other things that'd take cpu time.
>
> Heck, if you're not using it, just shut down X and use nuvexport from
> the terminal.  That'll save you some cpu cycles.

Why bother?  That's what nice is for, to manage all that stuff for you.
Leave it alone and let it do its job.  The transcode will use just about
ALL the cpu when you are not doing anything else.  You will not
gain any measurable speed by fiddeling with it than you would
gain by just turning off your screen saver and walking away.

You DO know how Nice works, don't you?

--