[mythtv-users] Radeon 9800 and Myth Black Screen Problem

Bill Bradley williambradley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 14:36:42 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Just upgraded to a a Radeon 9800 128mb card from Nvidia GeForce440MX
64 and am having some weird problems.  When viewing live TV or
recordings with myth, I get black/no picture but sound.  MythVideo
wont play videos using mplayer either.   I started mythfrontend from
the console and got the following error messages when watching Live TV
or Recordings:

X Error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 11
Major opcode:  140
Minor opcode:  19
Resource id:  0x1

When trying to launch mplayer via MythVideo, I get the similar:

X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)  0.0% 0 0 0%

Now if I close mythfrontend, I can cat /dev/video0 >test.mpg and play
the file with mplayer all day long.  Videos work as well.  Also I am
able to use mplayer to watch the recorded nuv streams in my tv store.
At this point I don't know if it is a Myth config issue (as nothing
has changed but the card and X) or if it is an ATI/X config issue. I
don't have a lot of experience with ATI under linux, so if anyone has
a XF86Config-4 that works properly with MythTV and would share I would
appreciate it.  I should also mention that all the 3d stuff works
fine, glxgears, tux race, etc.

Thanks,
Bill