[mythtv-users] MythTV and TiVo feature comparison

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 23:31:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:23:40 -0600, Tony Brummett <brummett at gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of days ago, someone was asking if there was a feature list
> comparison between MythTV and TiVo.  I've been using both for a while,
> so I made up a quick list.  Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Yep you missed some:

The most expensive model of Tivo is somewhere aroun $800 for the
models that include a DVD burner.

Myth also supports new episode only recording.

Myth also supports "Search by criteria", any "word" type search can be
saved as a recording rule.

Myth also offers a few searchs Tivo doesn't such as "what's new"
showing new items in the program guide and "movies" search.

There's also a whole host of playback things such as zoom modes for
widescreen TVs, filters and what not that aren't listed.

Digital audio output for surround sound (i.e. AC3 audio) isn't
mentioned.  (that's a big thing for true home theater folks).

There's probably more but that's what caught my eye.