[mythtv-users] nuvexport speed

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Nov 12 17:26:59 UTC 2004

Tim Sailer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 03:26:41PM +0000, Greg Cope wrote:
>
>>Looking at archiving stuff and have kicked off nuvexport on a 1.5 hour
>>~ 3 gig recording.
>>
>>It seems to be very slow, ie 3FPS, or about 10% an hour.
>>
>>Is this normal?
>

> Yup. Renice all the transcode processes to -19, and you should gain
> some speed.

You have to be root to do that.  If you do, just make sure you trust me
not to put any exploits into the code.  ;)

But on a serious note, if you do this, it will also prevent anything
else on your box from running well -- particularly mythbackend.  That's
a bad thing if you have a software encoder.

And on that note, nuvexport has a --nice commandline option just for
this kind of thing.

-Chris