[mythtv-users] Hard Drive Troubles - NEED ADVICE

nowhere nowhere at cox.net
Fri Nov 12 01:48:00 UTC 2004

Hey Everyone.

I had a corrupted FS. Not sure if it was an improper shutdown, power
failure or just a drive going bad. Anyway, I was able to rescue my
/video partition but I had to re-install everything (FC2/myth0.16).

Since I have been having 2 troubles.

1. Entering mythvideo works fine but exiting mplayer back into mythvideo
freezes up the frontend 100% of the time. I have to kill frontend and
restart. No messages are displayed in any of the logs.

2. Deleting recordings from within myth intermittently crashes the
backend. No messages are ever shown in any of the usual places.

Long story KINDA short, I used Seagate's diagnostic tool and found one
bad cluster. I let it replace that cluster with redundancy and it now
tests 100% good. I re-ran the diag after a week of running and it is
still good. Problem 1 and 2 are still happening.

I suspect that one little piece of data was corrupted by the replacement
of the bad cluster but I have no idea what. So now to my questions:

Is the drive a risk?

Should I try to send it back?

Will Seagate replace it (it IS in warrantee) even tho the redundancy
succeeded?

What should I try to find/fix the corrupted data?

Total Reinstall?

Not worth it until I replace the drive?

I Welcome any and all comments/advice here.  I think this is the only
source of my system instability right now...

Thanks a bunch!

Eric