[mythtv-users] Undefined symbol error when running CVS

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Nov 11 08:38:55 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 23:29, Shawn wrote:
> Likely a library it's linking to has been compiled with a compiler not
> ABI compatible with what myth was compiled with (2.96 v 3.X?), or some
> psycho-babble sounding like that. (The "_ZNBlahHorkBeeble" bullshit is a
> clue)

No, its not likely. The last Red Hat distribution with a 2.96 compiler was Red
Hat Linux 7.3, over three years and six releases ago. He said he's running
Fedora Core 2, using packages from ATrpms, compiled on a Fedora Core 2
system. (Well, in a FC2 chroot using FC2's native tool chain, anyhow).

> Try looking at all the libraries myth links to (ldd), and recompiling
> those libraries with the same gcc (or g++ as it were).

Don't bother. Way off base, like Isaac said.

> If you don't like binary incompatibility but you're patient and an
> obsessive problem solver, gentoo is for you.

Been there, done that. I like it, but way too much time and effort just to
make basic things work the way they do 30 minutes out of the box with binary
distributions. There are enough problems for me to solve on those platforms
that are far more interesting than the ones that have already been solved by
binary distros. As for binary incompatibility, its not an issue I've ran into
in years and years on any RH platform.

> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 19:38 -0800, Jason wrote:
> > I posted this problem originally as a response to a long thread and
> > realized I should probably start a new one since my problem is
> > different than the one the thread was discussing. I am running FC2 that
> > was set up following Jarod's guide. I am trying to foray into HDTV, so
> > I thought it would be best to start using the CVS MythTV. I did
> > "apt-get remove mythtv" to remove my previous install of 0.16,
> > downloaded and successfully compiled the CVS. Problem is that when I
> > try running either mythbackend or mythfrontend I receive an error
> > stating :error while loading shared libraries: mythbackend (or
> > mythfrontend): undefined symbol:  _ZN11MythContextC1ERK7QStringb
> >
> > Any ideas?

Yes. Look at the output of:

# rpm -qa | grep myth

You probably still have a bunch of rpms installed, apt-get remove mythtv only
removes the mythtv package, there are several packages that have to be
removed (namely, all the ones in the output from the above command).

Try:

# rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep myth`

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE