[mythtv-users] Whole house Myth setup

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 21:45:25 UTC 2004

> - Use Xbox frontends for the locations that are not HD
> - Use a frontend based on a small form factor PC with an nvidia FX5200
> card for location that are HD sets

HD frontends require at least XP3200(p4 3.0GhzW/HT??)+ Nvidia runing
Xv or if you use Xvmc you can use less processor(XP1800?... someone
uses a cele 2.2Ghz).... but you're in for a world of fun and glitches
as Xvmc is really not fully integrated into myth at this time... and
it's still very experimental in itself.

> - I am planning to use PVR-250 for the non HD capture, and pcHDTV3000
> for the HD streams - it is my understanding that you would need a fairly
> beefy box to capture more than 1 HD stream, but with the 250s onboard
> encoding, I think I could capture 1HD stream, and 1 or more non-hd
> streams at the same time.  IS that a bad assumption.

CAPTURING HD streams for the 2000/3000 cards does not take up any CPU
at all. It requires the hard drive to save ~2megs a second, which is
really nothing with DMA enabled. It's PLAYING the HD streams that's
tough... see above for frontend issues.

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com