[mythtv-users] To TiVo or mythTV it
nate s
nate.strickland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 20:01:13 UTC 2004
1) probly the numerous threads in the mailing list archive (and this
one) are about the best you can find
2) Definitly myth. I actually haven't spent much on myth as of yet,
really. I'm running a combined front/backend on my main PC that I use
for everything, so really the only thing I spent $ on was the tuner.
( well, two tuners, as I bought a bttv card, then found that
recordings would get jumpy if I played unreal 2k4 at the same time so
I bought a PVR250) Only $150 in total. I'm about to get a new hard
drive, although, if I had a tivo, I'd have done that anyways.
And the features of myth are incredible. I never even see commercials
any more. I always just hit e (edit) then z (load commercial cutlist)
before I watch any show, and spend 5 minutes editing (just moving the
cutpoints by a few frames, and sometimes deleting unnecessary
cutpoints, but seriously only 5 minutes or less) then never even see
the commercials. And for archiving shows, you can actually edit the
file and delete the commercials so as to save space on disk. (I had a
2.2 G file go down to 1.6G without commercials.) And Tivos don't let
you archive shows to DVDs as well, nor can they transcode to XviD or
DivX or the like to save space. Not to mention the whole
client/server potential.
3) Yes I'm pretty sure they are discontinued. I think they are pretty
much the same, really, and that it was a parts availibility thing.
4) Currently you can only record HTDV from OTA signals. Furthermore,
for those who use tv-out many don't have a HDTV to display on.
-Nate
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:01:54 -0800, Geoff Scott
<geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:29 -0700 (MST), Rich wrote:
>
>
> > Not new to Linux but very new to PVR. I have some questions that I can
> > not seem to find answers to, short side of buying and trying.
> >
> > 1. Is there a straight to the point running document that compares the
> > functionality and ability differences between TiVo and mythTV?
> >
> > 2. Now for a loaded question. For those that have gone the mythTV route.
> > If you walked into COSTCO and saw a Series2 TiVo 80hr box sitting there
> > for $268 with a $100 rebate would you have rather bought that or dumped
> > $1200 into a Linux mythTV box? Would your wife agree?
> >
> > 3. HD-2000 vs. HD-3000. I realize many may not have the 3000 yet but this
> > might be best answered by those that have used the 2000. Why buy the 3000
> > when the 2000 has two coaxal reception ports?
> >
> > 4. On the surface it looks like there are more PVR vs. pcHDTV cards in
> > use. Any opinions as to why?
> >
> > Thanks for any input given and your time taken to do so,
> > Rich
>
> To answer your points:
>
> 1) Dunno. Sorry.
>
> 2) No way. I love being able to make MythTV exactly what I want. I
> spent less than $1,000 and even that was overkill. Now add in the
> ability to upgrade, change, tweak, whatever AND the whole broadcast
> flag debacle that is brewing, and the choice for me is easy. MythTV
> will always allow, and encourage, tinkering. The WAF could not be
> higher. She is VERY non technical, and enjoys MythTV thoroughly. No
> kidding.
>
> 3) From what I understand, the 2000 are discontinued.
>
> 4) IMHO, more people don't need HDTV (as of right now...I'm sure this
> will change) and so just need a PVR card. As people roll over to
> HDTV, pcHDTV cards will be used more. Also, MythTV had some growing
> up to do around HDTV, which I think it's largely done AFAIK, and so
> the roll over continues.
>
> Seriously, MythTV. Don't get bogged down in "TiVO is cheaper". Make
> your own Tivo and make it do *exactly* what you want it to do. But
> maybe that's just me.
>
> Geoff
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
>
>
>
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list