[mythtv-users] Going to rebuild my Mythbox

Jamie Kinney oracledude at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 17:47:23 UTC 2004

If you're interested in saving your recordings, download Chris'
nuvexport utility and archive everything to .nuv/.sql files so that
you can easily reload your program metadata back into the database.  I
have a $MYTHTV_ROOT/export directory where I archive shows before
burning them to DVD or archiving them to disk.

As long as your music files all have id tags on them, you shouldn't
need to export the musicmetadata table from your MySQL database.

If I were you, I'd also make a backup of the /etc directory so that
you can easily copy settings from your old my.cnf, xorg/XF86Config,
modprobe.conf files.

Do you have a spare hard drive or network drive?  If so, mount it and
copy these directories over to a backup folder.  If not, then
hopefully you have all of your recordings and music on a partition
that you can avoid formatting during the re-install.  Archive your
/etc directory to this location using the command as root "tar -cvzf
/path/to/archive/directory/etc.tgz /etc".

Hope this helps,

Jamie