[mythtv-users] MythTV - which SFF?

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 16:46:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:03:46 +0000, Jit V <jit_v1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've seen a few threads floating around on the subject of various small form
> factor boxes and the various issues people are having getting them up and
> running. I was thinking of getting a Shuttle SN45G or the SN41G V2 - but
> then read the threads on issues with the nforce2 chipset etc. Now I'm really
> not sure what to get... :(
>
> I'd be greatful if someone could point me in the right direction of a SFF
> that's got good support for linux and works well with mythtv. Since I'm
> going to be using a dvb card I'm looking for something that will work under
> the 2.6 kernel.
>
> I'm looking for something that supports the following:
>
> 1. One spare PCI slot to be uesd for a DVB card.
> 2. On board 5.1 surround sound - which can be used when playing dvds.
> 3. S-Video for use with a tv.
> 4. A motherboard capable of taking a reasonable CPU - something that can
> decode an MPEG2 stream, or at least a motherboard that has a graphics card
> that can decode MPEG2.
>
> I'd also like to know whether it really is realistic to build a small stable
> PVR that just 'works' everytime - it would be a real shame to blow 300-350
> GBP on something that doesn't quite work.
>
> Thank you

I just ordered the Ahanix X220 case.

That said, I'd definitely look at the Asus Pundit. Watch out, though,
as there are two models - the Pundit and the Pundit-R. The older
Pundit model is better supported in Myth (TV-out is the issue). Some
people have been successful in getting the TV-out to work properly on
the Pundit-R, but just be aware that it will require more work to get
working than the Pundit.

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003