[mythtv-users] Transcoding Video to write to disk

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Wed Nov 10 16:46:05 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone,

I have a large number of videos recorded on my Myth box, and have a few
that I want to burn to DVD.  I've succeeded in making 1 coaster so far
and would prefer not to do that again.  It seems that I cannot burn
LARGE files to DVD.  I haven't looked it up online, but from a little
bit of reading, I believe I cannot burn a file over 1 GB in size to a
DVD.  Unfortunately, the first video I want to burn is about 4 GB in
size.  I don't really want to transcode it, since it would take
forever.  I have a Movix2 CD which I can give to someone with this disk,
so there is no real need to transcode.  Anyway, I know I need to split
the file, but avisplit will not work on the NUV file, since it is not an
AVI.  I feebly tried to run the file via mythtranscode through transcode
to rewrite it as an AVI, but it seems to me that this will actually
re-encode the file, which I don't want.  If anyone here is an expert
enough to tell me what commands I need to run or how to burn a 4 GB file
to DVD, I would really appreciate it.  If I MUST transcode the entire
thing, I will do so, but I tested the export to DVD and it looked as
though the file would exceed 5 GB.

Thanks,

Matt