[mythtv-users] V3-3500

Marc Perea marcperea at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 02:23:41 UTC 2004

Hello fellow MythTV enthusiasts!

This is my first attempt at building a MythTV box, and I am no expert with
linux. I was wondering if anyone has had success with a voodoo3-3500TV being
used as the backend capture device. I read the forums and found that plenty
had problems, one mention of it working with Freevo, but no one posted that
they were successful getting a V3 3500 to work with MythTV as the backend
server. The 3500 is my only card with TV capture capability at the moment,
and I am willing to purchase a better card if need be, but I was hoping to
try this out and get started before dumping any money into the project. But
if someone with more experience and knowledge than I hasn't got it working,
I'd rather get a card that is known to work and won't cause hassle. Has
anyone got the V3 working? If so, what flavor of linux works, were there any
special dances you had to do, and any comments? If not, any recommendations
for a good starter card, hopefully cheap$?

Additionally, I was thinking about trying out the Xbox hack for the frontend
once I get the backend up and running, and I was wondering if anyone has
anything bad to say about doing that - because so far I've only heard good
things! Oh, and I guess it'd be nice to know if, once the Xbox has been
hacked, can you restore it to be used as an Xbox again or is the hack a one
way process with no turning back? Also, does it only work on certain Xbox's,
or is the hack universal accross revisions (if there are any)?

Thanks for your comments!