[mythtv-users] waiting for a thread/backend hang

Christopher N. Deckard cnd at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Nov 9 23:13:41 UTC 2004

I'm trying to get MythTV stable on some Athlon64 hardware under Debian
"unstable" (quoted as I'm using the unreleased pure64 tree from
alioth.debian.org).  I've also rebuilt the MythTV Debian source packages
for amd64.  MythTV runs fine, and I can schedule things and it will
record the programs as expected.  However, there seems to be some kind
of weirdness going on, and I haven't been able to pinpoint it.

I am getting a lot (on the order of 20/second) of messages in my mythtv
backend log stating "waiting for a thread".  The time I really notice
this is when a program has started to record, and I use the MythWeb
interface for verifying that it has started to record.  The MythWeb
pages take a very long time (sometimes a minute) to come up.  Bandwidth
is not the issue as this is on my home network, and the backend,
storage, and apache server are all running on the same machine.

The other thing I notice is that many times the preview image of the
recorded program does not show up.  If I restart mythbackend, everything
comes back and is responsive, but making the preview images still seems
to either take forever or is broken.

When the backend gets into its "waiting for a thread" mode, scheduled to
record programs do not get recorded.

Any pointers on fixing this or investigating this problem would be
great.  I haven't seen anyone else mention this on the mailing list, and
there are very few results in a google search.  Could this be an
Athlon64 problem?

-Chris