[mythtv-users] pci video cards viable?

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 21:10:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:27:48 -0500, William Crutchfield
<william.crutchfield at madmaxoptics.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried using a video card with a PCI interface instead
> of an AGP interface?  I'm using a motherboard that's too ancient to support
> modern AGP cards.  I'm worried about the PCI bus being bandwidth limited.

I have a dual p2 xeon with a Matrox G200 PCI card in it that wouldn't
play video back in mplayer (apparently due to lack of sufficient
onboard ram). I think I remember that the accelerated drivers for X
had some features that were specific to the AGP card as well.

Chances are that if you buy a new graphics card like a 128mb PCI
Geforce 4mx for $56.50, you'll be fine.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=14-144-136&ATT=Video+Cards&CMP=OTC-B1zrat3

But then again... chances are that if you have a machine without AGP
slots, it's may only be worth about $99.99.

http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?ID=7282&C=7&S=50

-Ross