[mythtv-users] New Australian XMLTV grabber

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon Nov 8 07:59:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 06:14:00PM +1100, Dave wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 17:49 +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Even better if we could have one person fetch (ie rip / steal) the data
> > and then share the XMLTV data with everyone else.
>
> One person would be grabbing an awful lot of data if they were to get
> every region and fta + pay etc.

Well, one person per region per channel type for example.

> Perhaps this could be solved using P2P?? I've never really used p2p, but
> I get the feeling you could probably build some sort of de-centralised
> network where you can search for guides, maby by region-id, if you find
> one, great, otherwise you grab it with the grabber and then host it for
> others to download. Thats pretty-much how p2p works isnt it?

That could work. You might accept someone else's data if it's less than
12 hours old, else fetch your own, or similar. If you do a fetch, you
still have to get all data for your region or your channel type, as
nobody is going to have partial data. Unless you consider FTA is a
subset of Foxtel etc.

> Free is always better, but yeah, if it was reliable, complete data
> straigh from hww or simillar, I'd consider paying a small fee.

I think a small fee would be acceptable; certainly better than getting
incomplete/unreliable data, or having to write a new ripper every few
months (until you run out of sources)!

Hamish