[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon Linux TV Support

Marc Eisenbarth Marc_Eisenbarth at gmx.net
Mon Nov 8 04:26:38 UTC 2004

>TJ wrote:

>> What are the reasons?
>>
>> On Nov 7, 2004, at 10:06 PM, Cecil Watson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Avoid ATi... Just my 2 cents.
>>>
>>> Cecil
>>
>ATi's Linux support is sub-par.  The AIW doesn't work w/ MythTV.  No
>XvMC.  Getting an ATi working can be very problematic.

>Cecil

okay, so let's assume that I'm not interested in the AIW and all I'm
interested in is getting the TV-out to work with the DVI->Component dongle.
Also, let's assume either I'm not going to be worried about the MPEG-2
decoding overhead, and perhaps I'll transcode everything over to MPEG-4, so
the lack of XvMC support will be a moot point. Also, let's assume I'm not
interested in decoding 1920x1080 MPEG-2 stream (if this was the case, the
XvMC support would be quite nice, granted)

Given these caveats, is the ATI still a bad choice? As stated above, I'm
interested in the option to use the DVI->Component adaptor and also be able
to use S-Video out in a stable enviroment. I'm also interested in the
presence or absence of features such as overscan/underscan and interlaced
display support. Can you shead light on the pros and cons of ATI versus
NVidia in these areas?

-ME

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail + 3 Top-Spielfilme auf DVD
++ Jetzt kostenlos testen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail ++