[mythtv-users] Re: Highly confused - tuner type=39 ??

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sun Nov 7 20:09:46 UTC 2004

Don Brett wrote:

>http://67.18.1.101/~ckennedy/ivtv/ivtv-0.3/
>
>ivtv-0.3.1h.tgz
>

>New setup, which is identical, except for the tuner type:
>
>alias char-major-81 videodev
>alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
>options tuner type=39
>options saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0
>options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
>add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
>add above ivtv ivtv-fb

The new 0.2.0 series does not require options in the modules.conf file.

5. Interesting observations:
- tveeprom does not install with the released drivers, but it does with
ckennedy drivers

>- tveeprom shows that the hardware has a type 47 tuner!

Because, like I stated in an earlier email, the new hauppauge tuners ARE
tuner 47.
Tuner 39 is close, but does not have full functionality.

>- from dmesg:
>tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 48132, rev = K168, serial# = 2844024
>tveeprom: tuner = LG TAPE H001F MK3 (idx = 68, type = 47)
>tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
>
>, which would imply that the tuner type is 47.  The old tuner.h definitions stopped at 45 (as seen in
>CKennedy's doc/modules.txt instructions).  However, tuner type 39 (which IS in the old list) seems very
>close to 47, so I tried it, and it worked.

See my previous email on this.

>>From /usr/src/ivtv-0.3.1h/doc/modules.txt - LG_NTSC_NEW_TAPC   39
>>From /usr/src/ivtv-0.3.1h/driver/tuner.h - TUNER_LG_NTSC_TAPE       47
>
>- I suspect that something else is using the old tuner definition, which was having trouble finding
>it.  Perhaps something associated with bttl?

It didn't autodetect because your kernel tuner module doesn't know what
it is.
You need to apply the tuner.c/ tuner.h patch on Chris' website, and
recompile / reinstall the module.
then it should autodetect to tuner 47, fully working.