[mythtv-users] New Australian XMLTV grabber

Dave david.collett at dart.net.au
Sat Nov 6 07:14:00 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 17:49 +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 11:27:02AM +1100, David Collett wrote:
> > While we're on the topic of threading and not abusing webservers...
> >
> > Whilst I havent really read the code, I would expect that this script
> > could in fact be modified to used as many as 5 or so different web
> > servers at the same time. This is because ninemsn, seven, yahoo, tvweek
> > etc, etc all use the same region, channel and program id's because they
> > are all syndicating hww 's data. Perhaps we could produce an uber-script
> > which simultaneously grabs data from all of them, thus reducing the
> > impact on any one server and making it more fault tollerant in the
> > process.
>
> Even better if we could have one person fetch (ie rip / steal) the data
> and then share the XMLTV data with everyone else.

One person would be grabbing an awful lot of data if they were to get
every region and fta + pay etc.

> Unfortunately it's a
> single point of failure; the provider only has to block one IP address
> to cut everyone off.

Perhaps this could be solved using P2P?? I've never really used p2p, but
I get the feeling you could probably build some sort of de-centralised
network where you can search for guides, maby by region-id, if you find
one, great, otherwise you grab it with the grabber and then host it for
others to download. Thats pretty-much how p2p works isnt it?

> Ideally they'd just go ahead and provide it for a reasonable fee.

Free is always better, but yeah, if it was reliable, complete data
straigh from hww or simillar, I'd consider paying a small fee.

Dave