[mythtv-users] dreaming hardware configuration

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 04:41:09 UTC 2004

How long would it take to perform a network boot?

In my house the power bill is excessive enough as it it.  I might be
able to persuade to allow the backend to be onn permanently, but as
for a couple of frontends, I think I am pushing it.  I was looking at
Xbox's but I don't know how long it takes to boot.

Cheers,
Dave

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:04:25 -0800, Yan-Fa Li <yanfali at best.com> wrote:
> Networking:
>
> I would also want GigE over copper on everything.  CAT5e or 6 cabling.
> Managed Switches which support Jumbo Frames to get 9K packet sizes.
>
> MythBackEnd/NFS Media File Server:
>
> Opteron Server Platform with at least 2 * PCI-X slots and 3 to 4 PCI
> slots and integrated 64bit GigE and low end VGA.  2 * 8 port 3Ware SATA
> controller with all drives running unmanaged.  Linux Software RAID
> across all 16 400GB drives in hotswap caddies.  Perhaps a RAID 10
> configuration in 4 sets, covered by LVM resulting in 3.2TB of storage
> for this rev.
> Dual 550W power, backed by two 1300VA UPS.  4GB of Registered ECC DDR.
> 1 * OTA HDTV card, 2 * PVR250s.
>
> Mythfrontends:
>
> Something custom case wise, combined with centrino CPUs.  Heat Pipe
> based, diskless, network booting off backend.

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH