[mythtv-users] ATI Remote Wonder - Cannot make it work

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:39:22 UTC 2004

> Yes, faulty hardware is still a possibilty.  Testing on
> Windows is less of a possibility because I have no
> Windows machine.
>
> But I am willing to buy a new computer with Windows
> installed, to test the ATI Remote as well as other devices.
>
> Could a laptop or notebook be used to test the ATI Remote?
> There just isn't room (or power outlets) for another desktop
> computer in the house.  Please post here if you feel you know
> how a small Windows laptop could be used to install the ATI
> software and test the device.
>
> Thanks.

More information: probably not faulty hardware.

I removed the USB plugin from the MythTV machine, took
it and the Remote upstairs and plugged it into another machine.

The upstairs machine also runs Fedora Core 2, same kernel, etc.
Several messages appeared in the log, after which I pressed the '1'
button and a '1' was typed on the screen.  It was just as if I had
pressed the '1' key on the keyboard.

Here are the messages from the log:
Nov  4 09:18:38 xxxxxxx kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:03:00.1: wakeup
Nov  4 09:18:38 xxxxxxx kernel: usb 2-1: new low speed USB device
using address 2
Nov  4 09:18:39 xxxxxxx kernel: drivers/usb/input/ati_remote.c: Weird
data, len=1 ff 00 00 00 00 00 ...
Nov  4 09:18:39 xxxxxxx kernel: ati_remote 2-1:1.0: Input registered:
X10 Wireless Technology Inc USB Receiver on usb-0000:03:00.1-1
Nov  4 09:18:39 xxxxxxx kernel: usbcore: registered new driver ati_remote
Nov  4 09:18:39 xxxxxxx kernel: drivers/usb/input/ati_remote.c:
Registered USB driver ATI/X10 RF USB Remote Control v. 2.2.1

So, I guess it's just start from scratch on the MythTV machine.
There is one specific difference between the two machines:
Upstairs has no LIRC running at all, no lirc shows up when
lsmod is used to see what modules are loaded.

In one tutorial that advocated using only ati_remote, specific
instructions were give to remove all of lirc from the system.
I find it hard to believe that lirc must be completely removed
from a system, just for ati_remote to work.  If you can confirm
that lirc must be removed, please post your experience here.

Again, thanks.

--
MM