[mythtv-users] ramfs for ringbuffer

Josiah Royse jroyse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 19:58:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:25:24 -0500, Mike Burr <mburr at pointdx.com> wrote:
> the video. I could be mis-diagnosing the problem, but it seems to make
> some sense: lvm is generally faster, right (i/o distributed across
> multiple devices). The single disk is one of the disks that was part of
> the lvm partition and I have confirmed that DMA is enabled. If I have

LVM is only going to help you share I/O load between drives if you are
using a non-linear RAID on top of LVM.  Using LVM to glob drives
together to make one large partition effectively fills the first
drive, then the next, etc(unless your FS is fragmented).  Having two
drives on the same IDE cable will hurt your performance, also.

Hope that helps..?
-Josiah