[mythtv-users] Zap2it Subscription

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Nov 3 17:42:00 UTC 2004

>Well I have looked into getting directv without purchasing my own
>equipment and having it installed rule #1 seems that its a 1-3 year
>commitment depending on the plan and what goodies they give you

Really?  My Dish install was free, I have no contract, and two
dual-tuners (I pay $5/month for the second box, and the second tuner in
each box is free as long as it's plugged into a phone line).  They own
the hardware.

>#2 You have a 2 Choices, To pay a rent amount between 3.95-6.95 per
>box per month, or agree to leave your boxes connected to a phone line
>constantly, seeing they would make money off payper view regardless,
>the only thing of use that could come out of your directv boxes would
>be usage data,

Actually, PPV is handled in the boxes.  If you don't connect to a phone
line, the boxes can't tell Dish/whoever that you ordered PPV, and you
don't get charged.  When I signed up, they told me that the ONLY time
the boxes would dial out was if/when I ordered PPV stuff.

-Chris