[mythtv-users] The sub $500 mythbox

Kevin Chmilar kevin at chmilar.org
Tue Nov 2 18:42:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 08:24, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> If anyone's interested, I managed to pick up:
>
> Antec Aria
> Chaintech 7NIF2
> Athlon XP 2600+ Barton
> (**) Zalman CNPS-3100 Plus
> 512MB Samsung PC2700 RAM

I set up exactly this same system over the weekend.  The Zalman cooler
would not fit, though.  The CPU location on the Chaintech motherboard is
too close to the side of the case and also too far back, partially
underneath the power supply.  It might work if you are willing to do
some bending on the Zalman.  I ended up putting in the largest standard
"block" heatsink I could find and then used the big Zalman fan to blow
on it (at the lowest speed).  I also installed the slot cooler that came
with the case in the AGP slot (I am using the onboard video).  My CPU
(AXP 2600+ Barton) runs at about 52 degrees C.  Without the slot cooler
it was about 65 degrees C.  With the big Zalman fan in there I cannot
use one of the drive bays.

The system is quiet enough that I don't notice it, but it could be
quieter.

cheers,
kevin