[mythtv-users] The sub $500 mythbox

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Tue Nov 2 17:55:37 UTC 2004

It depends is the answer.  The airflow through the case isn't very good.
  If you're CPUs are the mobile type it will be reasonably quiet.  I put
an Sempron 2200 in one box and had to use the supplied 7V blower to keep
the passive video card happy.  The CPU would also overheat at the lower
setting on the fanmate.  I did get a Mobile XP but the motherboard
wouldn't supply it multipliers and then I had an accident with it before
I could try the pin hack; that seemed to run cool a 6X.  I think the
problem is the 120mm fan in the PSU.  It's heat sensitive and is
supposed to speed up, but doesn't very well.

I have a passive heatsink ATI 9600XT and its barely fit.  CPU coolers
must be shorter than the height of a PSU ridge.  It has a non standard
300W Antec power supply with an ATX connector.  I put in an aeroflow 2
from vantec and it fits with some room to spare.

My other aria has a 900MHz P3 with an Antec flower heatsink.  It barely
fit.  I had to bend the tines a bit and install the above heatsink fan.
  They have a special bracket which hooks to the PSU to install fans.

However, it's a nicely engineered case otherwise.  They just need to
work on the airflow a bit more.  A larger case with bigger, slower fans
would be quieter but wouldn't be as cute or space saving.  That's the
compromise.

Yan