[mythtv-users] AMD Kernel and Jarrod's guide

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Mon Nov 1 21:52:28 UTC 2004

Though it is possible to compile the kernel itself with Athlon
optimizations if that hasn't already been done by Axel.  This will of
course make the kernel unrunnable on non-AMD CPUs.

Look in /usr/src/linux-2.4.27/arch/i386/Makefile for:

ifdef CONFIG_MK7
CFLAGS += $(call check_gcc,-march=athlon,-march=i686 -malign-functions=4)
endif

You can change this bit to read something like:

ifdef CONFIG_MK7
CFLAGS += -march=athlon-xp -Os -mmmx -msse
endif

Not sure of the benefit of compiling mmx optimizations into the kernel
itself though.  It might not even boot.  I tend to use just the first
two, since -Os is basically -O2, but optimized for memory.  -O3 is
considered dubious in kernel circles because it tends to break more often.

Yan