[mythtv-users] Fedora Core 2 + MythTV + SB Live + Digital sound out via SPDIF

henk willems altijdweerdieautodrop at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:39:13 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've been struggling with this for about a month now... read a lot about
ALSA and digital sound out but I just can't get it to work. At first, Alsa
didn't output anything via spdif, then I read something about a bug that
required alsa to be the same version as alsa-lib (or the other way around)
so I installed another alsa lib. Now I do get digital sound out using xine
for example (my external amp says "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" whenever these
audio tracks are chosen on a dvd) but the sound is really bad. It sounds
like it drops 9 frames of every 10 if you can speak of frames in audio...
it's jittery and chunky.

My question, has anyone been able to get this to work properly? I'm using
Fedora Core as described in Jarod's guide and MYthTV 0.16. I know it's
another thing to get regular sound on the spdif but I didn't even get
started on that yet... I'm kinda freaking out here!

Any suggestions / help would be very appreciated.