[mythtv-users] myth video settings

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 20:19:23 UTC 2004

At 19:42 01/11/2004, you wrote:
>So I've been using mythvideo in my set up and I'm very impressed with how
>well it works, but I've come across a slight scalability issue and I
>wonder if anyone else has had this problem or come up with some creative
>solutions.  I've looked around in the archives, but nothing seem to crop up.
>
>So I've been using AVI as a transport for Xvid encoded movies and I have
>this issue that AVI does not specify the aspect ratio, so I end up
>inputting 1.85 or 2.35 globally and then fixing individual issues with
>individual files.  This is pretty time consuming as all the other
>parameters other than aspect are the same.
>
>So the question is what's the best solution ?
>
>a) convert to a different transport like *.ogm and lose direct windows
>compatibility
>b) hack up the mythvideo interface so that it accepts an aspect parameter
>in the metadata which can then be added selectively to mplayer using %a or
>something like that.
>c) provide profiles which specify generic parameters all defined in one
>location.  e.g. "mplayer aspect 1.85", "mplayer aspect 2.35", "mplayer
>4:3", etc...
>
>Any input would be appreciated.  I'm not a c++ guy, but I think I might be
>able to add a field to metadata.cpp.  Is there a more sensible solution to
>this problem ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Yan

TBH, if you're happy encoding to OGM, I'd got that route - but I'm a biased
OGM fanboy (as I like to encode the SRT subs, chapter info and sometimes
the directors commentaries into the files as well). I just wish I could
convince dvd::rip to do the things VDubMod does.

Windows/OGM compatibility is a snap if you use Media Player Classic, VLC or
any other media player worth it's salt. I imagine there are filter for
plain jane WMP as well.

However, I'm unsure as to what your problems with AVI's is. I have quite a
few old rips that I haven't redone yet that are still in AVI (as well as
some cartoons off the net), and have never had a problem with aspect ratio,
although I use Xine FWIW.