[mythtv-users] Australian HOWTO?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 1 12:35:25 UTC 2004

David Whyte wrote:

>If I were doing this again.... I think I would by a normal TV tuner,
>not the digital ones.  It seems that the DVB modules are still in the
>early stages and being such a linux newb, I have had a shit fight
>getting them to work.  I am still on the case though and will be
>working til late tonight trying again.  I see some new links above I
>can look to for help.  I think analog cards are well supported in the
>kernel nowadays though so it would have been much easier.

Actually, a good part of your problem may have been with the card
itself.  It's fairly widely accepted the the tuners in the Avermedia
cards suck (not to put too fine a point on it) and I had endless trouble
getting one to even tune to a TV station.  Until I replaced the
Avermedia card with a Nova-T.  It's been reasonably smooth sailing ever
since.

I haven't had a chance to retry the Avermedia card since I moved to an
area with a local digital repeater that I'm about 2 km away from.
Possibly the tuner will handle the stronger signal better.  Regardless,
I haven't seen anything yet about this card that would lead me to
recommend it.

Of course, YMMV...