[mythtv-users] PVR-250 + pcHDTV, myth 0.16, initial setup problem bttv called with NTSC videomode

Dan Lanciani ddl5 at danlan.com
Mon Nov 1 03:15:36 UTC 2004

glen martin <glenm at locutory.org> wrote:

[extreme snipping]

|VIDIOC_S_STD: Invalid argument

I have the same error and the same symptom.  Moreover, I had the problem
before I installed any PVR-x50 (or drivers therefor), so I don't think that
that configuration is at the root of the problem.  As I originally posted
(and as I see someone else has suggested) using dtvsignal to select a valid
station before trying to watch tv "fixes" the problem.  Using dtvsignal to
select a station that is not currently broadcasting does _not_ fix the problem,
so it isn't merely an issue of getting the card into the right state.

I think several things are going on:

-The backend is failing to select the default ATSC channel.  Perhaps this
is jut a configuration issue?

-If you try to "watch TV" while the backend is not set to a valid channel
there is some sort of "tuner error."

-If you get the above tuner error the frontend hangs so you can't switch to
a valid channel.

I'm actually more worried about the second two issues than the first.  Fixing
the ATSC channel selection problem will mask the other problems until you
happen to try to start watching TV (or maybe making a recording?) when the
default station happens to be off the air.  I don't think that the backend
should demand access to a valid station either at startup or when you attempt
to watch TV:  there is always the chance that whatever station was previously
selected will now be off the air.  Obviously the frontend should not hang in
any case. :)

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl at danlan.*com