[mythtv-users] Configuring a remote Frontend without mythtvsetup

cythraul cythrault at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 02:13:55 UTC 2004

Hi,

My mythbox recently gave up. Fortunately I was able to transfer the
hardware to a second machine but this other machine cannot be a
frontend due to a lack of AGP slot and performance problem.

So I decided to get another machine to run the frontend. The frontend
is installed and can access the backend after I edited mysql.txt.

The next step would be:

Run the MythTV setup program on your Master backend. Under the
"General" menu, change the IP address of the current machine (by
default, "127.0.0.1") to the real external IP address - 127.0.0.1 is
the loopback address and no external machine can access it. Change the
Master Server IP setting to the same IP address as well.

Behind the scene, what does the setup program modify? Can this be done
my modifying the database?

Thanks!
cythraul