[mythtv-users] PVR350 and X Display

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Sun May 30 11:36:40 EDT 2004

I just realized that I still had the info in my X11 config files...  Here is
what I had for a working TV out with the PVR350

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "NTSC Monitor"
        HorizSync  30-68
        VertRefresh 50-120
        Mode "720x480"
          # D: 34.563 MHz, H: 37.244 kHz, V: 73.897 Hz
          DotClock 34.564
          HTimings 720 752 840 928
          VTimings 480 484 488 504
          Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
        EndMode
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "TV Screen"
        Device      "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
        Monitor     "NTSC Monitor"
        DefaultDepth 24
        DefaultFbbpp 32
        Subsection "Display"
          Depth 24
          FbBpp 32
          Modes "720x480"
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
        Driver      "fbdev"
       Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
        BusID "02:0x0a:0"
EndSection

----------------------------
This was awhile ago, but it did work...  Note, I have no idea if some of it is
from trying to span the two...

On Sunday 30 May 2004 10:34 am, Cyber Source wrote:
> The snip I gave you from my conf file is to use my NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440
> 64MB AGP w/tv out card for my TV out. The NVIDIA driver has a TwinView
> option that allows dual displays, i.e. CRT and TV. Getting TV out of
> your PVR350 directly to SVIDEO/COMPOSITE, I have not idea, but I'm, sure
> there is lots of options for that too. I use a cheapo ($49) AverMedia TV
> Tuner Card with my NVIDIA. I have TV out jacks on my TV Card but I don't
> use them, I pipe it through my NVIDIA card. I would suggest upgrading
> your video card and using it I do but if you find a way to get it out of
> your PVR350, I would love to know how you did it.
>
> Wayne Eaker wrote:
> > Well, the card I'm trying to get TV-Out to work with is the Hauppauge
> > PVR 350. I also have an nVidia Riva TNT2 in the box for use until I
> > get that working. I've got Myth all up and running with X being
> > displayed on a monitor connected to the TNT2. The video plays out of
> > the PVR350 TV-Out. But, I can't get rid of the monitor until I can get
> > X to use the TV-Out for its display, too. I'm trying to use Jarod's
> > XF86Config. (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/XF86Config-PVR350.txt) My
> > frame buffer and bus address happen to the same as his example config,
> > so I have been trying it as it is. I also tried changing the Refresh
> > and Sync values down to match yours, but that didn't seem to make any
> > difference.
> >
> > Any clue what's up with this? Thanks for your help.
> > Wayne.
> >

> > Cyber Source wrote:
> > What is your video card?
> >
> > Wayne Eaker wrote:
> > >/ Well, I tried setting the HorizSync down to 30-50 and the VertRefresh
> >
> > />/ to 50, but still no luck.
> > />/ Any other ideas?
> > />/
> > />/ Wayne.
> > />/
> > />/ Cyber Source wrote:*
> > />/ You might need some settings to adjust your refresh rates sent to the
> > />/ tv, I have an NVIDIA card and here is a snippet from my conf file,
> > />/ Section "Device"
> > />/ Identifier "Videocard0"
> > />/ Driver "nvidia"
> > />/ VendorName "Videocard vendor"
> > />/ BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
> > />/ Option "RenderAccel" "1"
> > />/ #TV Out Setup
> > />/ Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
> > />/ Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
> > />/ Option "TVOverScan" "0.6"
> > />/ #Twin View Setup
> > />/ Option "TwinView"
> > />/ Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
> > />/ Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
> > />/ Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"
> > />/
> > />/
> > />/ Wayne Eaker wrote:
> > />/
> > />>/ / This is my first time creating a MythTV box, and I could use a
> > little
> > />/
> > />/
> [...]

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
-Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"