[mythtv-users] Is My transcoder not working?

Nicholas Devenish ned20 at sussex.ac.uk
Sat May 29 18:32:19 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm new to mythtv (and linux, for that matter), and I've been setting up
recording and stuff. Problem is, the files are very large. a five minute
recording took about half a gigabyte, and even after I went into edit,
cut some stuff out to test and hit 'x' to transcode, it only shrunk to
100mb. 100mb for three minutes of video? surely something can't be right
here.

Also, I know my computer can encode dvd quality divx at about 1.4x
speed, so why does it have to record to such a raw format??

Some other sizes i've got is 1.43gb for about half an hour (ater
transcoding again, I think), twice.

Also, I'm recording something, the 'delete' screen says it's about 4gb,
with my other stuff of 1.6gb, 1.6gb and 0.1gb, and it says I have used
about 25gb of 30gb on my dedicated partition... something doesn't add up.

Thanks,
   Nick