[mythtv-users] bit of an update.. and nigly problems.. lol

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Sat May 29 10:32:29 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 15:17, David wrote:
> Craig Tinson wrote:
>
> >>Are you running "mythfrontend" or "mythtv".  The frontend shouldn't
> >>complain about inputs unless you tried to watch live tv on too many of
> >>them at the same time (to many being defined as more than the number of
> >>capture cards you have).
> >>

> >all seperate machines.. backend server (FC1 with 1 AverMedia tv card) in
> >one room.. frontend (FC1 running mythfrontend) in the living room (with
> >TV) and my PC running FC2 (running mythfrontend)
> >
> >have I got my head around this wrong? isn't the myth backend allowed to
> >stream livetv to as many clients as asks for it?
> >

> Correct - you've got your head around it wrongly :)

well.. bugger.. lol

> Myth can't stream liveTV to multiple clients.
> At first glance it's an obvious "why not?" they just need to see the
> ringbuffer...
>
> If you think it through you end up with channel change issues, who
> authorises recording to begin etc

ok.. that makes sense I think for some setups.. wouldn't make any
difference in my case though..

ok.. will accept that I'm an idiot and should have thought this through
more from the beginning.. lol

but others here must have multiple frontends running from the same
backend..

so whats the trick? reading the ringbuffer directly over nfs? is there
somewhere I can read on how to set up myth for that? (I know the nfs
stuff)

Cheers

Craig

                                     \|||/
                                     (o o)
_ _ /: Thbbft.  |   Craig Tinson               | "The most overlooked
\'o.O;   _/     |   8010 Media Ltd             | advantage of owning a
=(___)=         |   Email: craig at 8010.co.uk    | computer is that if