[mythtv-users] listings change info?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Thu May 27 18:59:13 EDT 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 03:44 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Bill Chmura wrote:

> > As far as the subscription expiring in august, I am *assuming* that
> > unless you answer the questionarries that they will be sending you
> > (referred to in the agreement) then they will not change you expiration
> > date.  Once you answer the thing they will add on another month or two...
> >  (This whole part is an educated guess on my part).
>
> Three months. The first renewal survey was like "What programs
> do you use with DataDirect?" (myth, of course) "Isn't today a
> nice day?" and that's about it.

Yeah, they want to ease you into a false sense of security with innocent
questions... for now its like "Isn't it a nice day", then next one will be
like "Whats your social security number?" and "Where do you keep your
silverware?"...  kidding...

---------------------------
We may use Personally Identifiable Information (your name, e-mail address)
subject to the terms of this privacy policy
--------------------------

I read over the agreement and it (IANAL) seems pretty loose on the privacy
part of things.  The aggregated information part of it is okay, but later on
basically it says that...

------------------------
Personally Identifiable Information collected by Zap2it Labs may also be used
for other purposes, including but not limited to site administration,
troubleshooting, and other communications with you.
In addition, from time to time as we continue to develop our business, we may
sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses. In such
transactions, user information may be among the transferred assets
------------------------

Basically I think it means they can use whatever for whatever...  Personally I
don't care right now, since all they really know about me is that I have all
the cable channels from COX and a few other items.

I just think people don't read enough - and once they see "privacy policy"
they think oh - they have a policy... it is all going to be okay.

But the import works really well :)

--

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
-Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
-Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
-Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"