[mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Thu May 27 17:40:05 EDT 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 04:27 pm, Coax wrote:
> > From what I have seen it has always been with inserting data into the
> > video stream (like OSD) or something.
>
> Well, technically, you're not REALLY inserting data into the decoded video
> stream.  Technically, the decoding process happens, and they use the OSD
> memory to "layer" the stuff over the top of the decoded video.  This is
> what happens when you use the EPG, or the ff/rw stuff, or anything that
> throws video on top of your decoder's output.

EPG? OSD? OMG...  how to keep track of all this...

> > I have a radeon 9000 in the machine, but don't want to lose the hardware
> > decoding !  Besides chicks dig the whole extra monitor thing <g>
>
> lol :) Well, give and take, I guess.  Which is more viable.. A system that
> uses a bit more processor time doing software decode (with MPEG-2, it
> hardly takes anything to decode it if you have a fast processor like a
> current AMD Athlon XP or something)  Takes a lot of processor time to
> encode it in software, tho!) - or crashes due to inadequate driver support
> for the PVR-350's decoder and OSD..  :) :)

I liked the idea of being able to pause tv, but I barely watch live tv so I
tend to use Myth more as a Super VCR than anything.

--

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
-Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
-Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
-Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"