[mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?

Coax coax at cornernet.com
Thu May 27 15:25:39 EDT 2004

> > The video-out quality from the pvr-350 was very good, but I had numerous
> > stability problems.  I put my system together a few months ago, and after a
> > month of crashes, reboots, partial recordings, s-l-o-w channel changes and
> > a very low WAF, I bought a geforce4 mx440 with tv-out.  The tv-out quality
> > is *almost* as good, and now my system is rock-solid.  I'm using the 350
> > for capture only right now.
>
> I had the same problems until I stopped using the framebuffer and put a
> monitor under the tv...  Its tough, I'd like to get a small flatscreen with a
> touchscreen to put on the coffee table :)

It does appear that the real problems with the IVTV driver as it stands
are almost always associated with the OSD and decoder capabilities.  As an
educated guess, i'd say that those are the most complex areas of the
driver, and is only loosely documented, so the developers basically get to
use trial and error as their only effective means of debugging the durn
thing.

I'm about 5 seconds away from buying a GeForce4, myself.  I'd rather just
be done with the problems until such time as they can figure out all the
snags with the PVR-350..

Let it be known that I believe that the ivtv guys (Chris Kennedy et al)
have done a wonderful job of developing the ivtv driver.  These boards
have VERY complex firmware, and given the tools they have available to
them, they've done an excellent job.  Kudos to those folks! heh. :)

Chad