[mythtv-users] Issues with Priorities?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu May 27 14:22:21 EDT 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 12:45, Richie Crews wrote:
> I am having issues with .15 (never noticed it on .14) and recording
> priorities...
>

> I have Good Eats with a Record priority of 10 and I have Stargate
> SG-1 with a Record priority of 1. Good eats is getting pushed back
> while Stargate SG-1 is getting higher priority.. Unless I am wrong
> don't items with higher Positive numbers come first?

What do you mean 'pushed back'?  If you mean 'recorded at a later time',
then that's the correct behavior.  The scheduler knows that it can
record the same program/episode later, so it does.  This way both
programs get recorded.  The priority, AFAIK, only handles the order in
which cards are assigned, and determines who wins if more than one
program are fighting for a time slot.  I don't think there is any way
to override the 'record previous/earlier showing' behavior; Myth
assumes that you want it to try as hard as possible to record
everything you've told it.  If Good Eats was recorded in the time slot
you wanted, then maybe SG-1 wouldn't have been recorded at all; this
way you get both.

Now, if both programs had multiple showings that could have been
recorded, I don't know what should happen... I'd think Good Eats should
get the first slot, and SG-1 would record a different showing, which is
the opposite of what you saw.  Of course, the other showings of SG-1
might have caused conflicts... you get the picture -- the scheduler is
quite complex; many thanks to David Engel!!

Someone please correct me if I'm talking out of my ass :-)

Also, the type of recording and the channel also affect the priority, so
even though you gave SG-1 a priority of 1, its actual priority may be
different.  Check the 'Recording Priorities' page to see the actual
priorities.

-JAC