[mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu May 27 11:43:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 08:08:07AM -0500, Andy Long wrote:

> I'm a linux newbie about to build my first mythbox.  I've read mixed reviews
> on the success of getting the PVR-350 to work for video out.  Can anyone
> relate their experiences or reccomendations on this?  Does it work well?

Mine works brilliantly.  I can record one program while
watching another on a slow, fanless CPU (1GHz C3) with about
20% CPU usage.

> Is the video-out quality good when compared to, say, an Nvidia
> Geforce 4?  I'm planning on using either Fedora Core 1 or Core
> 2 (no great affinity to either right now, so if one would be
> better than the other for this card, i'd be happy to use it).

For recording shows in MPEG-2 format and then watching them
later, a PVR-350 is perfect.  For watching DVDs or other video
formats using xine or mplayer, I've heard there are other
boards that may work better.

--
Grant Edwards
grante at visi.com