[mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?

darren.richards at cox.net darren.richards at cox.net
Thu May 27 11:32:11 EDT 2004

> From: Andy Long <aslong at uark.edu>
> Date: 2004/05/27 Thu AM 09:08:07 EDT
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?
>
> I'm a linux newbie about to build my first mythbox.  I've read mixed reviews
> on the success of getting the PVR-350 to work for video out.  Can anyone
> relate their experiences or reccomendations on this?  Does it work well?  Is
> the video-out quality good when compared to, say, an Nvidia Geforce 4?  I'm
> planning on using either Fedora Core 1 or Core 2 (no great affinity to
> either right now, so if one would be better than the other for this card,
> i'd be happy to use it).
>
> Thanks.

The video-out quality from the pvr-350 was very good, but I had numerous stability problems.  I put my system together a few months ago, and after a month of crashes, reboots, partial recordings, s-l-o-w channel changes and a very low WAF, I bought a geforce4 mx440 with tv-out.  The tv-out quality is *almost* as good, and now my system is rock-solid.  I'm using the 350 for capture only right now.

That being said, I don't know how much the ivtv drivers have improved in the past 3 or 4 months, so maybe some of the problems I was seeing have been resolved...

-darren