[mythtv-users] mythvideo and removable media

Xavier Hervy maxpower44 at tiscali.fr
Thu May 27 09:09:39 EDT 2004

Leo Weppelman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to extend mythvideo to accept files on a CD/DVD. I have
> several CD's with .mpeg and .avi files on them. Currently if I want
> to play these, I change the video path to /cdrom. This is not really
> the way it should be.
> What I'd like to add is a way to insert a CD and get thrown into the
> video browser. So I can 'just' play what is on that CD. I don't want
> to copy stuff to the harddisk anytime I like to play it.
>
> I'd like to probe this list to search for ideas and maybe to find out
> that I want something that is already there ;-)
>
> Leo.

You just need to put a symbolic link in your video folder to /mnt/cdrom,
and if you have automount or supermount , it will do what you want, I
agree with you it's not a very good way but it's the only now . :-(

You are not the only one that need this, then i actualy discuss with an
other dev to implement this feature.
What we think :
Adding the capabilitie to store information about video which are store
in removable storage like CD/DVD or hard drive in mythvideo.
Adding information about DVD Video and trore these informations in
mythvideo too. because we want to see all video in the same plugin, then
  we will show all the list of video, and when we want to play someone,
mythvideo tell us to insert the DVD / CD or plug the removable drive
where it was store.
Grabbing informations about movie even if they are on CD / DVD Rom,
removable hard drive or DVD Video.

All ideas are welcome !

Xavier