[mythtv-users] Is the GUI slow for everyone or just for me?

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Thu May 27 01:37:48 EDT 2004

Op donderdag 27 mei 2004 02:16, schreef Maarten:
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 01:38, mark wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 May 2004 12:46 pm, Dan Morphis wrote:
> > > mark wrote:
> >
> > Because my system was dropping frames and changing audio speed recording
> > in MPEG4.  The fact that I started Mythtv at 0.10 recording perfectly and
> > playing back perfectly in MPEG4, with a low 30% load roughly, then has
> > progressively deteriorated to 90-95% load with later builds was lost on
> > the list.  One of the more "in the know" readers clubbed me over the head
> > and said something like " you fool, don't you know you're supposed to
> > record in RTJPEG and transcode it?"  Whatever, at least my shows don't
> > jump anymore.
> >
> > And this is NOT a slow system.  It's a AMD 2500+/512mb/7200rpmHD/KT400A
> > pretty snappy doing anything except myth.
>
> I don't know if I can help...  can you benchmark and compare it to
> something ? By doing a kernelcompile maybe ?  Does bonnie++ uncover any
> obvious weak spots ?  Have you overclocked it ?  What does acpi report back
> as system / CPU temperatures ?

I think you lost people here...

Bonnie++ (or zcav for that matter) doesn't come with suggested settings nor
really 'noobie' documentation, so...

> You may also want to verify in your BIOS that CPU internal caches are ON.
> And of course, the obvious -but you checked that I hope- hdparm DMA mode.

Where do you check the CPU cache? cat /proc/cpuinfo didn't reveal anything. Or
did you mean just the BIOS option?

> For more technically inclined people, it may be insightful to run iostat or
> other tools from the sysstat suite to see where exactly the bottleneck is.

Maybe it's easier to point to some good 'tweaking Linux' site, there are a
few.

	Henk Poley <><