[mythtv-users] *huge* difference in picture quality..

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Wed May 26 18:24:22 EDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:22:44 +0100, Craig Tinson <craig at 8010.co.uk> wrote:

> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>>> ok.. clarification of my terminology.. (or messed up terminology..lol)
>>>
>>> to me.. coax is this stuff:
>>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/34998i0.jpg
>>> with this kind of connector:
>>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/1606i0.jpg
>>>
>>> compositive is this:
>>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/32572i0.jpg
>>>
> the scart converter I have is this:
>     http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/33041i0.jpg
>
> its got an svideo connector too.. but when I tried this I just got a
> black and white image (good quality.. just black and white) so ditched
> that and was happy enough with the compositive.. I don't know enough
> about svideo to have been able to fix that problem anyways..

Just curious; did you set your TV to expect SVideo. In my experience most
TVs don't autodetect that - don't even know if it's possible. Plus I had
to do it on mine. :)

SVideo luminance uses the same input on SCART that the entire composite
signal does, hence the B/W picture (sorry if this is obvious, haven't been
paying much attention to this thread).