[mythtv-users] Installing CVS with atrpms

Ian Lesnet ian at whereisian.com
Wed May 26 18:14:37 EDT 2004

Now that my mythtv is working again, I will unsubscribe from the daily
onslaught of e-mails.  But I wanted to send out what I had learned for
others that will ask the question "how do I install the CVS verion to get
datadirect".

As you may be aware version .14 will not work
properly because of xmltv failing and the need to change to datadirect.  I
spent yesterday trying to figure out how to install CVS version of .15 from
Axel's atrpms which has datadirect (I am a "green noob").  Here is what
i did:

1. Edit the /etc/apt/ repository list.  Change the atrpms from at-stable to
at-bleeding. (see Jarod's guide)

2. Next, I ran apt-get update to pull in the new package lists.

3. Then, because I wasn't sure how to install the CVS version instead of the
regular version with apt-get, I booted synaptic from my su# prompt.

4. I searched for mythtv and saw that synaptic showed the .15 cvs versions
as available upgrades (I had already installed version .14).

5. I chose to upgrade mythtv-suite which also selected alot of other
packages.

6. NOTE:  it did not automagically select the updated setup program.  I had
to select this individually for upgrade. This is important because this is
where the new datadirect setup is.

7. I ran the upgrade and have mythtv back without a hitch, though there
seems to be some minor instability in the news module, but that could be me,
nothing I can't live with.

By the way, props on the new xml listing system.  It works great.  Guide
data for twelve days was pulled in under 2 minutes for me.  With the scraper
it took hours.  i also love the new web page scheduler functionality, and
the great enhancements to the scheduling and play interface.  the coolest
thing is probably that it will now change channels if the show is on, and
schedule it for recording if it is in the future.

Cheers,

ian